A tribute to my mom

It’s been a week after we laid my mom to rest.. And today we have gathered in fond memory of my mother, to remember the joy that her life brought to us and acknowledge the pain that her passing brings. 

 

Mother Theresa said "give until it hurts, because real love hurts".. The only person who comes to my mind every time I think about this quote is my mother.

 

Mummy was only 61 when she passed away unexpectedly on the morning of July 1stHer death came at a time when the family was still coping with the untimely demise of my brother, Parikshith

 

While ‘Freni’ was the name my mother was christened with, she was lovingly called ‘Sophie’ by her family. Sophie is a Greek word that represents wisdom, the pinnacle of intelligence, knowledge and experience. True to her name she bestowed wisdom upon everyone that she crossed paths with. Hence, it was no surprise that teaching was an apt profession for her and she dedicated her life to imparting her knowledge to scores of students over the yearsEven years later, it was endearing to see students and parents come up to say ‘hello’ to her whenever they met her. 

 

She was an avid reader and you could often find her tucked away in a corner, immersed in a new book. The Nora Roberts novel that she was reading on the morning that she passed still lies open on her bedside table. 

 

She enjoyed cooking and was also a brilliant multi-tasker. I’ve lost track of the numerous occasions that I've seen my mom cook, supervise my brother'sstudies and listen to my endless stories all at the same time.

 

Growing up, mummy was quite the strict disciplinarian who worked hard to bring out the best in both Paru and me. She taught us honesty, dedication, hard work and constantly reminded us to dream big and be ambitious in life. She rarely had a harsh word for us. A simple glare would usually do the trick and in all fairness, this was typically when Paru and I had both done some sort of mischief to earn it. 

 

I still remember the glint of joy in her eyes when I got my 1st job. She may have been a woman of few words but she was there for every milestone, every achievement, and every heartbreak.

 

My mother was not perfect, but she was the best for me. The woman who carried me in her womb, the woman who always tried to be there for her family, the woman who taught me that I was capable of so much more than I thought I was. The woman in whose voice the words ‘Be careful when you take the bus’ and ‘I’ve made your favorite dish’ and ‘Have you eaten yet?’ still ring so clearly. 

 

Paru’s passing took a huge toll on mummy and while she did her best to go on for the sake of daddy and me, the pain in her eyes, each time she smiled was quite evident. During her darkest times, she would ask us why God had taken Paru away from her and how much she yearned for her son. 

 

The adult in me knows that mummy would have wanted me to continue to live life to the fullest, but the child in me keeps looking over my shoulder to see if I can catch a glance of her as I tread into a future that at this point seems uncertain.  

 

While I’m still coming to terms with Mummy’s loss, I know that her presence will always linger with me. So, today is not a day where I say ‘goodbye’. Instead today I choose to focus on the memories that I have that I will cherish forever. 

 

I’d like to say ‘thank you’ to everyone gathered in this room.. I’m sure you have fond memories of mummy that I hope you will hold on to in your hearts for a long time. Please keep my family and me in your prayers as we attempt to figure out how to cope with her loss and lead life without her.  

 

Dear mummy, I know today you are united with Paru and with a smile on your face, are watching over me and daddy. Today, all those innumerable childhood visits to the library and movie theatres with you seem like a distant memory and I would give anything just to hear you annoy me and ask me if I’d gone to the gym in the morning. You taught me everything I know about life. Except one thing: How to live life without you.  

 

 

Dear Paru

I may have won the fight on who gets to control the TV remote, but you have surely won the fight on ‘who gets to hold mummy and sleep’. Rest in peace, my angels in heaven. Till we meet again. 

 

To end with, I’d like to leave you with lyrics from a Kishore Kumar song that my mum taught me, that I will hold dear for the rest of my life.

 

“Aa chal ke Tujhe mein leke Chalo

Ek Aise Gagan ke tale

Jaha ghum bhi na ho, aasoon bhi na hon

Bas pyaar hi pyaar pale

Ek Aise Gagan ke tale”. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The perils of raising a pre-teen daughter.. Also, Happy Birthday to my baby doll :-)

From the diary of a novice 'Yogi/Yogini"